Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Swimming Through Summer

A blurry green smoothie picture. This one was waaaay to thick, I had to use a spoon to eat it. All the greens were kale too, so it was very flavorful. Tasted good, but the texture was a bit too thick. I have been managing one or two smoothies a week. Sometimes it is easier to make them than something else. Other times, I'm really needing some protein at lunch time (usually if I've waited too long to eat) so I make something less green and smooth.

This past week I'm again at the same weight, no change, still down a total of 4 pounds since the beginning of Better-U. Kind of frustrating and disappointing as I did quite a bit of activity and didn't think I ate all that much more than usual. Several of the days my computer was tied up with my son completing his Algebra summer school homework, so I didn't track my food intake, so perhaps I did get off track on the eating. Also my husband took a vacation week, so we ate out a bit more than usual. Plus it is that time of the month which always equals a few extra pounds for me, even at this late stage in the age game...
But enough with all the rationalizing! What exactly do I need to do kick this thing into the dowhill gear again?

I probably need more exercise, and one great thing I did last week was go swimming at the local high school pool. We joined for the year, so I can now go any day of the week and swim laps or just walk around in the water. I really appreciate my husband making me go when I was whining about being tired. It was great, and I felt very energized once I got out of the pool. We swam for about a half hour and I lost track of how many laps that was, but it was definitely aerobic. I expected to be sore the next day, but I wasn't, a very nice surprise! So sign me up for more swimming please. The challenge will be making myself go when the husband is at work, and not here to make me get in the car and drive there. Maybe I can rope my boys into this to help me get there, they do so love ordering me around!

One of the hardest things about going to the community pool is feeling so self conscious about myself in a bathing suit. But I took a look around at all the bodies that were there the evening we went, and yes I was one of the bigger people, but not the biggest by a long shot, and most of the mom types I compare myself to were not looking at me (at least not that I noticed), none of the teenagers or kids made any comments, and I felt happy just to be actually swimming and spending time with my husband. I love that feeling of being so buoyant and floating easily in the water. I noticed that: My lumps don't hurt when I'm floating in the water...

I had several opportunities to eat candy, or buy candy and I found I had enough willpower and was strong enough to not partake. This is several weeks now of success with this effort, and I'll admit that I'm very pleased with myself. A big part of my excess eating this past year has been candy candy candy. So that is a very good thing that I'm getting it under control. I have found that my sweet tooth is still here though, so lots of fruit and dried fruit is being eaten. Another huge thing this week was having sorbet instead of ice cream. My trick of having the boys pick the ice cream flavor (and begging them to choose something I don't care for, cookies n' cream, bleah!) totally worked. I didn't want the ice cream, and the lemon sorbet was just right on all those hot nights last week.
I have to remember to buy and freeze some grapes, I love eating those, the sugar crystalizes just so with the frozen ice, yum!

So this week ahead: continue making those better food choices, keep refusing candy's sweet siren call, avoid ice cream, make more green smoothies, and do some swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment