Friday, August 28, 2009

As Lazy As A Koala


oOoOps, went away on vacation and neglected to blog...

Well, at first when I returned from vacation I was up 5 pounds. So I was discouraged. I figured that I just had blown it with all the eating out, although I thought I'd made mostly good choices and geez, what about all that walking (like all day at the San Diego Zoo). That's where this koala picture came from!


But yesterday at a doctor appointment, the dreaded accurate medical scale said something I wasn't expecting. And this was with my clothes on. So I came home and weighed myself and lo and behold I'm now down two more pounds which makes ten, count them 10 altogether. Yay me!


So I am no longer discouraged. I am thoroughly encouraged. Which is good. Because I need to keep this effort up and I don't want to quit now. No self-sabotage. No dilly-dallying. Just slow and steady exercise and trying to make the best eating choice everytime I have to make one.


And trying to plan ahead for eating. This turns out to be one of my biggest challenges of all.

I am so not a meal planner. Never have been. I thrive on being spontaneous in my kitchen. Hey, it is 7:30pm, what's for dinner? And I go whip something up with whatever is in there.

I occasionally will get on a kick of taking recipes from magazines (like Sunset) with me to the store to attempt to buy all the arcane ingredients, or actually writing up shopping lists, but that doesn't ever seem to last.

So this is a place that I'm having a lot of resistance in the way I'm used to managing feeding myself (and my family). Intellectually I can understand how much sense it makes to plan your whole week of meals, and look at the grocery store ads and make a shopping trip based on what's on sale. But I guess I'm just lazy, and blessed with enough extra cash to not have to make this effort. I kid myself by thinking that I'm oh-so-spontaneous but really I get in a rut even with my devil may care modus operandi in the kitchen.

As sometimes a new approach works for making changes, I'm going to attempt this week to use the little grocery list pad that came with my goRed winnings and see if that helps me to make better choices at the source, where I'm buying what is coming into my house (and thus into my mouth!).

No comments:

Post a Comment